Does your normally docile, friendly pet turn into the Tasmanian Devil the moment you pull into the veterinarian's parking lot? It's not unusual for pets to feel a little stressed by a visit to the ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 08-06-2015
Just because chocolate is your favorite food does not mean it should be your dog’s favorite too. In fact, chocolate is one of the most common causes of dog poisoning every year. Chocolate makes dogs sick because it contains caffeine and theobromine, both of which are toxic for dogs and many cats. While dogs should never be given chocolate, the amount that it takes for them to get sick depends on the size of the dog and what kind of chocolate is ingested.
For little dogs, just one small chocolate chip cookie can be enough to make them sick, and 50 grams of dark chocolate is enough to kill them. A big dog like a Husky or Labrador would have to eat a whole pan of brownies to get sick off of chocolate.
It will be obvious if your dog has ingested chocolate. Some sick signs include restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, heavy breathing, and panting. If your dog displays these symptoms, it’s time to call your local veterinarian for help. It’s important that your dog receives treatment within the first six hours to avoid seizures or possible death.
If it is determined that your dog can be treated at home, most often the cure is to induce vomiting to remove the chocolate from your dog’s system. It is important to monitor your dog for up to three days after they ingest poisonous substances, as side effects sometimes do not show up right away.
There are other foods and medicines you might not realize are making your dog sick as well. Insecticides, over the counter medications, sago palms, and avocados are just a few other poisonous items for dogs. If you suspect that your dog has eaten something poisonous, call us right away for veterinary assistance at 602-559-5500.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.